It's been a rough couple of weeks. Sick kids. Tired parents. And of course, when it rains, it pours. The good news is that everyone seems healthy at the moment. The bad news is some of the important things that make our life work keep breaking.
The washing machine is broken. Again. I average two loads of laundry every single day, so that's not good news. The replacement belt we put on a few months ago is shredded again, which means the problem is more serious than something we can do ourselves. So we'll probably have to call a repair technician, who will of course charge hundreds of dollars just to grace the doorstep, not to mention what we will be charged for the tech to actually stay and fix the machine. Did I mention that it was an expensive front-loading machine that's only about five years old, which means it's just out of warranty. Good stuff.
And if that was not enough, my truck has decided that it doesn't want to start. Again. About a month ago, Josh and I went on a much needed night out with Grammy offering to keep the boys. The truck randomly wouldn't start after the meal. We had to call her assistant, Aunt Kelly, to pick us up (who quipped - "What, did you have too much to drink?" - which is pretty funny if you know us, since we're not exactly big drinkers). The battery had just been replaced during a routine oil change (it tested low in part of their routine checks), so we knew it wasn't that. It randomly started up the next morning when Josh went back to check on it, so we drove it straight to the garage. They ran some diagnostics and replaced the alternator. Several hundred dollars later, we thought the problem was solved.
Until today. It was time to pick up the little guys, who had managed to have their first incident free day of school in weeks. I helped Connor into his car seat and got ready to go. I turned the key, and nothing. The mysterious no start yet again. New battery. New alternator. The only thing missing is apparently a new starter or some new wiring that connects all of these essential pieces. Of course, I'm not going to be able to pick up the little guys now. Josh is luckily across town (instead of in another county, as he sometimes is) and heads back over to pick them up. About 30 minutes after I should have picked them up. More fun stuff.
I'm ready for the rain to stop now. Really.