Three boys, in three different classrooms, at two different schools. I'm not sure why I thought having them in school would make my life a bit easier, because it really doesn't. It just means that some or all of us are in the truck a lot more than we used to be. And it means a lot more frustration when I make plans for the times when they're supposed to be in school and, for whatever reason, are not.
Today is Monday, which means Sawyer and Xander have preschool. Two classrooms, one school. Not too bad, right? Not unless Sawyer decides he's not feeling well yet again, which he did. He missed all of last week except for Monday, essentially giving him a two week break from school (that one day doesn't count in my book). So, when one of his teacher's called to report him not doing well, Connor and I stopped mid-lunch and went back to school to pick him up. Luckily we had already finished our planned errands - a trip to the library for more Curious George (and other assorted) books and to the grocery store for the essentials like milk and bread.
And when we got to school, Sawyer was, indeed, quite pitiful. He was warm to the touch and inconsolable even being rocked by one of his teachers her nice, quiet office. Of course, he calmed down a bit in my arms. We talked to his teachers for a while and then made our way back to the truck.
We had 20 minutes before Xander would be dismissed (though we could have taken him as we left, as the teachers offered to get him ready). I chose to leave him in class, as he was having a good day and enjoying himself. We went to the truck where Connor finished what was left of his ham sandwich (we just brought his lunch with us). I found a few suckers in my day bag and passed them back to each of the boys. We were going to wait it out in the truck.
And you know what, Sawyer was perfectly fine. He was calm and alert, looking around and babbling just like always. He didn't want any of my offered juice (emergency diaper bag stash), but he took his sucker and just sat buckled in his seat looking around. No tears, no discomfort or unhappiness. Just fine.
I think he's suffering from a little bit of lingering sickness (or more likely, tiredness, from being sick for over a week) and having a bit of a hard time transitioning back into the school routine. And now that he's eating again, he may be having some digestive issues (common, unfortunately, for both of the twins) in addition to the other things.
So it goes. As long as he continues eating and playing well at home, we'll keep trying to send him to school. Hopefully whatever is lingering will stop, and he can get back into being my happy little school boy. I'm ready to see him dancing and smiling by the back door, waiting for his backpack and jacket, so we can go to school. I miss that little boy right now, and I bet he does, too.