Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Walk in the Field

On Saturday, the boys and I had an adventure. Daddy was working at the fire station and Connor had an invitation to one of his favorite friend's birthday party. It was at a park on the edge of the county, so that meant we were all going to enjoy the afternoon.

Connor spent hours running around with friends, enjoying an "Amazing Race" theme birthday party with his good friend and several new friends. The twins and I spent the first hour or so wandering around the park. This particular park was donated to the city a few years back, but development has been limited to some walking trails that are little more than mowed paths in rolling horse pasture. It's also an equestrian park, so horses might be roaming the same paths on which you're walking.










The weather was perfect. Low 70s, big blue skies with puffy white clouds, and a continuous breeze. Sawyer LOVES this weather, so he was content to take a walk in the fields. Xander, who has serious allergy issues, is not a fan of this time of year. He came kicking, stomping and screaming "No walk!" the whole way.

Until I realized something that might change his mind. You see, I had thought this might be a fun time to take some pictures of the twins. We haven't had new portraits on the walls at home in years, so I thought maybe I could sneak some portraits into the day. That quickly went out the window when Xander started screaming "No!" at everything. But I did still have my camera. And someone else I know loves cameras ...

So I handed over my beloved Nikon. We carefully put the strap around his neck, and I showed him the basics of pointing, looking through the viewer, shooting and then seeing his snapshot on the back screen.

He stopped screaming. And for the first time maybe ever, he started lagging behind in our walk. He was too fascinated with taking photos, shooting from every single angle and taking it all in from behind the lens.

And here are some of his shots from the day (I may have some competition in the photography hobby) ...