Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summer Time

Jumper by here we wander
Jumper, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.

Though the boys have been out of school for nearly a month, it hasn't really felt like summer yet. I've been working on a major freelance project that has been taking up long days and nights, and it just wrapped up on Thursday morning. So it's only fitting that within a few hours after that, the boys and I were packed and on the road to the lake.

Now, summer has officially begun!

Connor, of course, has been enjoying summer a bit longer. He snuck down to the lake last week, thanks to Grandma and Grandpa. I knew he would have much more fun being the "only child" for a while at the lake, while I would have plenty of time to wrap up my project with one less little boy underfoot.

Now we are spending a long weekend at the lake, soaking up some sun and water and family time for a few days. Uncle Brian and cousins Austin and Kyndal will join us later today for the rest of the weekend. The boys and I will head back home tomorrow, only to pack Connor's bags with some more clean clothes and send him on his way again. He's off to the beach with Grammy and (great) Aunt Lynn for the week.

It's hard to be Connor, if you haven't noticed.

In truth, I am glad that Connor gets to have so many adventures. I know how often he has to be held back or kept from doing things that so many other kids his age are doing, simply because his brothers cannot do those things. I love that he has opportunities to go away with family members who love him and enjoy "spoiling" him as an only child for a few weeks here and there. I love that he has a chance for a typical childhood, even though it's not always with us.

Bring on summer - we're all ready for it now!