Brothers, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.
Summer can be hard on Sawyer and Xander. It lacks the same structure, the same routine that comes with going to school, of having to be at certain places at certain times on certain days. Connor and I love that freedom - sleeping late, making plans as we go. The twins, not so much.
One of our biggest struggles with the boys is always sleep. We really wish they needed more of it. Eight to ten hours a night, and that's pretty much it. They usually fall asleep sometime between 9 and 10 o'clock at night and are up anywhere from 5 to 7 o'clock in the morning. Usually.
On Sunday, Sawyer fell asleep on our two-hour drive home from the lake. At five o'clock in the afternoon. He didn't want to go to bed that night, and didn't fall asleep until well after 10 o'clock.
He was up at 3:45 that morning.
And I mean up as in wide-awake, not a trace of a yawn or sleepy eyes, awake. Josh got him some cereal and milk and let him go to the play room, where he was already headed anyway.
And it's been a struggle ever since. Staying up late, waking up in the middle of the night, sleeping in and then really, really staying up late (like until the middle of the night). He's actually still awake. And he's been in his room since 9 o'clock, except for a potty break which he tried to use to escape to the play room (no such luck, kiddo).
Xander doesn't have the same struggles, at least not to the same extent. But he also has them. An unexpected nap or sleeping in just an hour more than normal can throw him off for days. He was awake in his room for hours tonight, too, which is actually pretty rare for him. He'll probably sleep in and the cycle will start all over again.
Sometimes I tell people that they cannot be my children. I love to sleep. I can sleep for hours and hours and hours. If my children would ever let me. I'll take their eight hours and trade them for ten or twelve, please. Even just a few nights a week. Pretty please.
I think it would help their dispositions. And I know it would help mine.