Monday, May 2, 2011

Three Brothers


Three Brothers, originally uploaded by cheryl.

It's rare, seeing our three boys play something together. But every once in a while, the moment happens. It's usually fleeting, broken up by loss of interest by one one or hatefulness of another, but it's sometimes there.

Saturday afternoon it was there.

The boys and I had gone to the local neighborhood park to celebrate opening day of Connor's little league (just a few weeks late because of all the rain). It was chaotic and wild, especially since I was there with all three boys on my own. The twins hated the stroller. Connor wanted to play a game, not participate in a ceremony. I stood there wondering what I had been thinking to bring them all up there myself.

Grammy and Pappy and Louie found us, and came to the rescue. They took the twins over the free inflatable section, where they bounced and slid to their hearts content while the ceremony was going on (and most of the people were there watching and not bouncing or sliding).

I got to focus on Connor during the ceremony, sneaking onto the field for some close-up shots of him with his teammates during their introduction. He had fun in the end, though still not as much fun as an actual game.

We met up with Grammy, Pappy and brothers, where he, too, got to bounce and slide. I went back to wait in the ridiculously long line for icees - one green and one red.

It turned into a good day. And we finished the afternoon off by spending the beautiful day outside in the back yard. We had sidewalk chalk and bubbles, two of the boys favorites. And they actually played together. Connor was blowing bubbles and the others were watching and chasing.

Three brothers, playing together. Rare. Fleeting. And always incredibly amazing to see.