Sunday, April 3, 2011

The New Office


The New Office, originally uploaded by cheryl.

Five years. That's how long it's been since I worked full-time. I stopped working right before the twins were born, and decided I would take a few years off to take care of the kids. Five years later, I'm still not ready to go back. Not to a full-time job, or the full-time hours.

Luckily, I've been able to keep my hand in my old career. I left my last employer on such good terms (I like to think it's because I helped them find a great replacement before I left) that they referred me to one of their clients who was looking for some part-time help.

In my other life, before kids, I was in marketing and graphic design. I worked at a marketing agency right out of college, then took a job as the marketing manager for a local architecture firm. It was full of long weeks, late nights and weekend conferences. And that just wasn't going to work with three young boys at home.

So I took some time off. And I was lucky enough to get that one referral at just the right time. It turned out to be a great opportunity, starting with a one-time project that turned into a part-time job. I basically do my old job on a project-by-project basis, with a few in-office meetings scheduled around the boys' crazy school schedules and the bulk of the work done from the comfort of my own home. And it's turned into more work. I have a second client interested in some part-time work.

And that means I needed a full-time home office. One that wasn't constantly overtaken by three computer-obsessed little boys. Or stalked by those same little boys if I happened to be there, trying to work, during daytime hours. (Just take a look at the background of the above photo, where two little boys have taken over the original office).

So now I have a new laptop. And new computer software (CS5, anyone?). And I'm ready to work again. From home. Or car line. Or the back yard. Or wherever I happen to be at the moment.

After all, as Connor mentioned last week. It's getting warm again. It's almost time to get the boat back out. Maybe I can catch some sun and waves while I work this summer.

I kind of like this part-time work. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to love my new office, wherever it may be.