Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Small World

Today turned out rainy and cold, which meant Connor and I were looking at a long afternoon inside while brothers were at school and an even longer evening inside after we picked them up. Neither one of us thought much of that idea, so we decided to make today one of our Mommy & Connor days out.

Our first stop was Wal-Mart (isn't it always?). The double-jogging stroller tires have been low for a while, but Daddy's air compressor has been on a job site for weeks and that didn't help us at all. With Connor looking to get a big-boy bike for his birthday next month, and us already having several inflatable balls and toys in need of some air, it seemed like a good time to invest in a universal hand pump. If nothing else, Connor's already had a good time helping me "pump up" the tires on the stroller! He also enjoyed a little more "practice" riding the bikes at the store!

On our way out the door this morning, I grabbed the parent list from Connor's preschool. One of the other mothers and I had been talking about getting the boys together for a playdate or maybe meeting up for lunch one day at the boys favorite restaurant - Chick-fil-a - also home of the indoor playland. With the rain, I thought I'd give her a call and see if they had any plans for the afternoon.

Connor was excited as he heard me talking, but unfortunately, I was only leaving a message. They weren't at home. We tried them on their cell phone and found out they were out running errands too, but didn't think they could make lunch. Connor was very disappointed, and even went so far as to suggest maybe we should just stop by their house on the way home to play instead! I explained drop-in visits usually aren't very nice, as people sometimes have other plans or don't like to be interrupted at home. He didn't think much of that response, but nodded.

On our way to the restaurant, his friend's mom called back. They finished their errands early and his friend had requested Chick-fil-a. They were all headed our way if we were still there. So we enjoyed lunch with his friend, his friend's mom, little brother and grandmother. The boys ate and played together, and I had a chance to visit with his mother and grandmother.

Turns out she grew up in the same area that I did, and that she and her husband both went to school with and actually graduated with my older brother. I knew (of) her husband, and even remembered where they lived because my brother had been there on several occasions.

What a small world it is sometimes. This makes the second year that Connor and his friend have been in the same class, and we're just now figuring this out. We've always been friendly in the hallways during drop off and pick up, but we've never had much of a chance to talk before.

Despite the rain, it turned out to be a really nice day. Connor got to play with one of his favorite classmates, and I got a chance to get to know another mom friend.