Friday, August 28, 2009

School Days

Our first full week of preschool has come and gone for the twins. It's hard to believe they're starting another year and also that they will have one more after this one. All told, they will be in the same classroom with the same teachers and therapists for two and a half years, counting the second semester they attended last year, which we love. A familiar environment is good for our boys.

I have to admit, I was a little worried about the transition back in. They've been out of school since early June, and our routine and structure kind of went out the window this summer. My part-time job has actually made it even more unpredictable since I spend a few nights missing both dinner and bed time routines, and those nights are not necessarily the same ones each week. Add to that Josh's busy work schedule, his Saturday class, and our trips and adventures, and the boys would be lucky to find even one day that was like another one all summer.

But, despite a worried look and a little whimpering here and there, the start of the school year has gone remarkably well. The boys have adapted to our new morning routine of having breakfast a bit earlier than usual and also a bit lighter than they would prefer. We're still working on getting them to eat the school lunch, and eating less before school is hopefully going to help. I've had mixed reports. Some days the boys are eating (even trying a new item or two) and some days they're not touching anything. Sadly, that also is par for the course with them. We'll keep trying.

The drop-off and pick-up routine is the same as last year, and they seem to be having no trouble with that part. I've even managed to be on-time, early most of the time, so far. We'll see how that goes next week when Connor returns.

Sawyer did give me a pitiful look the very first day, but I think it was more the chaos of all the people and having to walk part of the way in the grass. I'm assuming it was some of the new parents, but people had simply parked in the drop-off line and then walked their kids into the school. My options were to either wait forever in the line behind the parked cars or go ahead and walk them in the grass. I opted for what I thought was going to be the least traumatic. My kids don't do well with waiting, certainly not when their anxious anyway. So we walked, there was a little whimpering, and then he was fine.

And other than that first day, it's been fine. Xander did give me a look this morning, as I apparently stepped over the imaginary line, you know, too far away from the truck and too close to the school. He seemed to think, for whatever reason, that I was coming in with him today and was not exactly happy when I tried to hand him off to one of the teachers. Clearly, I need wait for the teachers to come take them by the truck, and I should never even think about walking toward the door to the school unless I plan to go in. That's the message I got from him today.

There have been, of course, a few potty training accidents. Sawyer, knock on wood, has been accident free so far (and, on an even better, non-school related note, I think he's finally figured out number two. We've been accident free at home for several weeks now, though I've been afraid to jinx it by mentioning it.) Xander, our "I have to go every 15 minutes!" child, has had a few accidents at school, mostly from his bad habit of telling people "No!" when he sometimes means yes. Also from his inability to give up things he really enjoys to do something as necessary as going potty. Recess has been his downfall most of the time. But that's why we send not one but two extra sets of clothes in for the boys. They've really only been potty training since school let out, so a little over three months now.

The other good news about preschool is that they seem to be enjoying it. Both of them are generally happy and ready to go in the mornings. Xander even pulls his shoes out long before it's time to go (he likes to go, anywhere really, and does this a lot). Both of them generally come when I say "Time for school, Mommy's truck!"

If they dislike any of the routine, it's the waiting in the truck before the teachers come out to get them. There's not much we can do about that. Mostly I play silly games with Xander, who will recite his ABCs, spell words, count on his fingers or play "Boo!" with me from his seat. Sawyer will sometimes pay attention, sometimes not. Usually he giggles, possibly at us, possibly at something else entirely, and watches the things going on around us (sometimes the buses coming and going, today it was the professional lawn mowers whizzing in the field across the parking lot). Sometimes I even grab one of the children's books, from the library or our own, and try reading a story. That's hit or miss with both of them.

It's too early in the year to get any detailed reports from the teachers, but I have had several passing comments that suggest they're doing well. Sawyer seems to be smiling and happy most days, and he's vocalizing quite a bit (just not in words, of course). Xander is showing off some of his newly acquired skills, saying words and letters and requesting interaction here and there (mostly in the form of wanting you to repeat what he says). He's also often covered in paint or marker, and I know that means he's been having a good time.

And, I've saved the best for last. It will make you smile, or at least it did me. Xander's teacher told me in passing that he doesn't seem to even notice his brother is there. Xander's class was walking outside to recess and Sawyer's class was in the hallway doing an activity. Xander walked right past his brother without bothering to even look at him or acknowledge in any way that he was there. The other kids noticed, of course, because there was another little boy who looked just like Xander, but he couldn't have cared less.

In some ways, it makes me sad. Most brothers would say something or somehow acknowledge each other if they passed in the hallways at school (or at least I would think so anyway). But, in other ways, it makes me glad that I requested two separate classrooms for them. I wanted to see how Xander would do in a separate environment than his brother, if some of his language might return and some of his quirky behavior might be less pronounced. Because, you see, part of me has always felt that some of the things Xander does is because he's imitating his brother. Not all of it, mind you, but some of it.

Xander is like Connor in that he likes your attention (or mine, anyway), and I think he's picked up on certain behaviors that Sawyer has that draw attention. Take, for instance, covering your ears when you don't like something. Both of the boys do it. With Sawyer, it appears to be two things, sometimes both apply and sometimes only one. It's either a defense against a sound that is irritating to him (loud, certain frequencies) or a defense against something he doesn't like (an activity, something you're saying to him, or just a general sensory overload that he doesn't want to deal with). With Xander, he does it when he doesn't like what you're saying, and he immediately looks at you as his hands start to go up. He expects you to respond in some way.

It's just a theory, of course, but one of the reasons I thought separate classrooms would be best. With three little guys so close in age, there haven't been as many opportunities for social interaction outside of each other. And, I can't help but smile at the fact that Xander is finding his own way and doing his own thing at school. If that means walking past his brother right now, I'm okay with that.