Saturday, August 29, 2009

Date Night

For the first time in months, Josh and I took some time for us. Since I began my part-time job early this summer, our babysitting favors have mostly been used on the Saturdays when I'm scheduled to work and Josh has to be in class. But last night was a free pass. Grammy and Pappy came over to keep the little guys company, and we spent a few hours away.

We even mixed it up - a little - from our normal routine. You see, we still hadn't managed to see the latest Harry Potter movie (which has been out for months now), and it only had two showings. One in the middle of the day and one at 6 last night. Normally we eat first and then see the movie, if we're doing both. As it was, we barely made the movie in time. I even missed half of the New Moon trailer, which was disappointing. I'd almost rather I hadn't seen any of it if I couldn't see all of it! But I digress.

We watched Harry, and though it was good, I still have a hard time paying the current rate of $18 for a movie night. It seems ridiculous. Between either just waiting to buy the DVD or watching it on Netflix, the theatre is slowly losing its appeal. There aren't many movies that I'm going to be willing to pay that much to see. And truth be told, last night was more about a much-needed break away from the house than it was the movie.

After the movie we opted for a more casual restaurant (it was Friday night, after all, and here in our small part of the world apparently everyone goes out to eat and you usually have a really, really long wait). I'd been craving wings, so we went to BW3s for some wings, rings and preseason NFL. It was loud and made us feel a bit old, but it was fun. And dinner was light enough that we even opted for a Graeter's ice cream cone afterward.

It was a good night. I'm pretty sure it's the first time in a while that we've come home and our children have actually been in bed. Maybe that $18 was worth it after all.