Yesterday it was Xander who wasn't happy to be at school. Today it was Sawyer. His little face puckered up the minute he saw me getting back into the truck and apparently he didn't stop crying until lunch time, over an hour later. Of course, Xander may feel the same way, I haven't talked to his teacher today. Yet.
One of the hardest things about the twins is their lack of communication. It's so hard to guess what they're feeling and what they're going to be willing to do. Yes, I know that both of them are recovering from being sick. Fevers over the weekend and a lingering cough and cold through the week. And I've struggled every day about whether they should or shouldn't go to school. Part of me says I cannot keep them home every time they have a cold, because then they would never, ever go to school. They seem to keep some cold symptom all winter long, whether it's a runny nose or a cough. Part of me worries about making them worse and getting the other people sick, too.
In the end, I keep sending them. Mostly because they seem fine when they are at home. They eat and drink and play. Those have always been my cues of when they're really not feeling well. First they stop eating, sometimes they avoid milk or drinking altogether, and then they stop playing. They're just kind of there, and pitiful. They've been none of those things this week. Their appetites are still not what I would call normal, but they're eating. They've been drinking, including milk. And they've been playing just like any other normal day.
But get them both to school, and they seem to be shutting down. Protest of school? Well enough to play at home but not at school? Sick or stubborn? I just don't know anymore. They're still there right now, but who knows what the afternoon will bring. And what are they learning, except that if they cry enough someone comes and takes them back home (where they often jump down, grin and start playing)!
So it goes. Just another day in the life . . .