We took the wait and see approach with Sawyer today, thinking he might snap out of it his bad mood after lunch when they started on activities that he usually enjoys. Not so much. His teacher called back shortly after lunch and he was still not happy and giving her a hard time (basically wanting to be held and bounced, you know, the whole time). I decided better safe than sorry and went back to get him. And since I was there, I checked on Xander and found him half-asleep in his class.
So, they both came home early again (rather than me coming back 35 minutes later to get Xander at normal pick-up time, with an unhappy Sawyer in tow). And then they both tried to play once we got home. Mommy was having none of it. If we come home early from school for not feeling well, then we nap. It took Xander a little while, but he eventually fell asleep. Sawyer was mad that I left his room, but he, too, fell asleep within less than 30 minutes of our arrival. And they slept.
And slept. For five hours. Xander would have kept sleeping, if I hadn't woken him up. Sawyer may have went back to sleep, because he was also still laying in bed (though jabbering, which is how I knew someone had woken up in the first place).
Then they came downstairs and snacked (dry cereal and juice). And played. They passed on most of their dinner, but requested more snacks (more dry cereal and juice) a short while later. Then they played some more. They were not ready to go back to bed, at 9 p.m., several hours past their usual bedtime (since they usually don't nap). They did anyway.
And I still don't know the right answer. Are they still sick? Are they just trying to get out of going to school? Some combination of both? With the way they were behaving after their nap today, I would say they were fine. But that ridiculously long nap? Sick, tired, the time change, overwhelmed by their new schedule of school every day . . . who knows.
Tomorrow we start again, and we see what the day brings.