Why do I get the feeling I'm being outwitted by a three-year old? Xander is home sick again today, and it was actually my decision not to send him.
Yesterday, he slept for 16 hours straight - from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m. this morning. And when he got up, all he did was lay his head down on the couch and watch a bit of television, pushing away his offered juice and dry cereal. I was afraid to try his normal milk, as that's usually not good when he acts as though he needs to throw up (he didn't, but he gave a good impression of it earlier).
After all of an hour downstairs, he was dozing off on the couch and I carried him back up to bed. He was soundly asleep an hour later when I had to get him back up to take his brother to preschool. I just carried him to my truck and tucked a blanket around him in his car seat. He stared blankly out the window all the way there, while waiting in the carpool line, and all the way back.
We got home, and he was rather pitiful when I carried him back inside. But he protested going back up the stairs to bed (which is what I assumed he would want). I turned around and put him down on the couch with his favorite DVD, Word World, playing. He sat there about 10 minutes.
He's proceeded to drag me to the kitchen for milk (his request, believe me, because I still don't think it's a great idea after this morning) not once, but three different times. He's eaten a few club crackers and quite a bit of cold pineapple. He's been walking around and watching the rest of his Word World, even spelling the letters out loud and getting mad if I don't respond as he wants me to.
He's still clingy at the moment, but he doesn't act like he doesn't feel well anymore. After all, he's had three glasses of milk now without incident. So what do you think? Is he really not feeling well, or is Mommy being taken for a ride?