Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's All Mine



My children all think it's fun to go around with your tongue sticking out of your mouth, apparently. In case you don't know toddlers, this face is "Ha, ha, the car is all mine, buddy - get your own!"

Or maybe he's just really, really tired. You know, from being too much on the go. I can relate to that.

It's funny, but I thought I would have more down time once I got the boys all in school. Not so much. I've been busy running errands (the grocery store, more times than I can count) and trying to get things off my to-do list for a change. Today it was stops by two stores, one to pick up the dog food that wasn't there last week (my luck, of course) and the other to get some things for the little guys lunch (packing lunches at age three for picky toddlers, so much fun, really). I rushed to put away groceries and then took Buster on a much needed walk. And then I squeezed in a phone call to check on getting Connor signed up for swimming lessons (a Christmas gift from Grammy and Pappy) before I rushed out the door to pick up the little guys from school. I'm turning into "that" mom already, the one who's last to pick her kids up from school. And that's so not me - I'm punctual to a fault. We're going to have to work on that.

But, as it turns out, it was a good thing I squeezed in that phone call, because today was the last day of registration for the next round of swim lessons and there were only two spots open. Connor got one of them, so after a quick lunch and a walk around the block for the twins (enjoying the warm weather for a change), we headed over to the pool to drop off the payment (required to reserve your spot).

And guess who screamed when it was time to leave the pool, you know, without actually going to the pool. Xander had fallen asleep on the way there, so he could have cared less. I actually had to carry him inside and hold him the whole time. No, it was my other water baby, Sawyer. He knew where we were. He kept trying to go down the stairs (that leads to the locker room and the pool) the whole time I was doing the registration. He was beyond pissed when Mommy said it was time to go and headed for the exit instead of the water.

Our last stop of the day was at Grammy's house, to check on the big boy himself. He'd been away on yet another adventure (it never ends for him, apparently). Cousin Ryleigh turned four last week, and her birthday present from Grammy was a day at the pool. She thought it would be more fun for Ryleigh if Connor tagged along, since they're pretty good play buddies when they get together. So he left our house last night after dinner and spent the night, and had a big day with Grammy and Ryleigh today that included the pool, McDonald's, the park and even taking turns driving the PowerWheels car around their neighborhood (where I met them as I was pulling into the subdivision).

Just another day in the life . . .