Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day Bag

For those of you who know me, you know that I am not a girly girl. In high school, I was strictly a jeans and baggy t-shirt kind of girl. I didn't start carrying a purse until I started going to work, after college, and only then because it seemed expected. I usually stuffed it inside my work bag with my planner and notebook.

Even after I stopped working, the purse I used usually sat in one of two places - on the kitchen desk or hidden under the seat in my truck. I rarely used it. I was much more likely to pull out my wallet and just carry it and my keys with me. That's just me.

But I've finally given in, sort of. I have entirely too much stuff that I want to tote around on a daily basis. More than anything, I'm on the go much more taking the kids to and from school. And there are also more errands being run in between said trips to school, and more adventures with Connor on the days he's not in school. I compromised and got a day bag.

And ssh, don't tell anyone, but it's actually a diaper bag. (David might recognize it as one very similar to the "man purse" he received when his baby girl was born - mine is just bright red instead of dark green!)

Yeah, I know, as if I didn't have enough diaper bags already. I didn't want to ones that are plastered with baby formula names (the free ones from the hospital, we got one for Connor, and not two but four with the twins, because the nurses thought we might want the extra freebies tucked inside). We also had the two back pack ones from when Connor was born (when we were young and stupid and thought we needed two of everything, just in case one of us dropped him off somewhere and the other one picked him up). And we also still have the big duffel bag one, but it's still actually used for the kids.

This new one, well, it's mostly for me. I've been wanting to pack my camera around more, learn a little bit more about all the fancy features that I haven't got a clue how to use yet, and just play with my photography a bit. I'm hoping I'll have some extra time while the boys are at school and it might give me a little sanity break. Hoping is the key word. So far, not much use, other than taking photos of Connor on our adventures. But that's okay, too.

So, this new bag has my camera (the diaper bag was a hint from my photography book, to disguise the expensive equipment instead of using the one plastered with Nikon and to offer padding to help protect the expensive equipment). It also holds my phone, my wallet and my keys. And a few assorted girl items, if you know what I mean. Last, it holds the most important extras of all - a few pieces of chewing gum (for Connor) and a few fruit snacks (for the kids). Sanity savers.

Like I said, it's a day bag. It should get me through most of my days with everything I need. And it's no bigger than a lot of the purses I see people toting around these days. It works, and so far, I've loved it.



The day bag, just a bit big for the basket that used to hold my smaller purse (the one I rarely used). I've taken this bag with me every day since I bought it, and actually used something out of it every single trip! Loving it.