Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Blue, Not Green

For those of you who don't know him, Sawyer is a boy who likes structure and order in his life. He likes things to be the same, pretty much all of the time. For the longest time, we've had a different colored sippy cup for each of the boys (two actually, so we can wash one and still have a clean one available in the correct color). A bit crazy, I know, but so it goes. Sawyer is clearly not the only OCD one in the family (he gets that part from his mother, not necessarily his quirky and coolness).

For the last year or so, they've had the same ones. Ever since the dishwasher melted one of the lids on our original color scheme. Of course, by that time the store didn't sell the same color and we had to get a different one. That was rough, let me tell you.

But, for the last year or so, we've had the same colors. Connor's cup is red. Xander's Cup is orange. And Sawyer's cup is blue. They're all Lightning McQueen, in case you're wondering.

Today, both blue cups were dirty because Mommy forgot to run the dishwasher last night. She's been forgetting a lot of things like that, being sick the last few days. So we pulled out an old green cup. Sawyer was having none of it. He looked at it and studied it from every angle for about five minutes, each of the three different times I tried to give it to him. He kept dragging me back over to the refrigerator wanting his milk. That green cup wasn't his milk.

Finally, after the dishwasher finished, I pulled out a blue cup. He watched me with a look of "it's about time, lady" as I pulled it out and dried it off (because no, I couldn't wait for the dry cycle to finish with him looking at me like that). I poured the contents of the green cup into the blue one, as he watched mind you, and then handed him the blue cup. He looked at it for just a second, turning it around in his hand, then he proceeded to chug the entire thing (probably about 10 ounces) in a matter of seconds.

Sawyer's cup is blue, not green. You've been warned.