Thursday, October 23, 2008

Want to Know a Secret?



If I really and truly want to get all three of my boys down for a nap - at the same time - I have found one way that works almost every single time. Now, the only caveat is that the boys must actually be sleepy and in need of said nap. You know, Mommy being tired of hearing them talk and bicker and scream and needing a little peace is totally different from little boys rubbing their eyes, yawning and running around just to keep themselves awake. It only works on the latter, I'm sorry to say.

My secret? I have to do something that is completely quiet for at least 15 to 20 minutes, long enough for them to fall asleep. As Xander would say (in that adorable way of his), "Sss-hh!" I think the problem with my boys, and probably a lot of little kids, is that they don't want to sleep because they feel they are missing out on something really, really good. With the little guys, that could be anything. With Connor, it's time with Mommy that he knows would be all his if only I'd let him stay up. But if it's quiet, they don't seem to fight it or think that they're missing out.

They are, they just wouldn't appreciate it yet and probably won't until they one day have children of their own. That time has become some of that very rare (and very needed) "me" time in my day. Sadly, it doesn't happen every day, but it happens enough.

What I do, usually, is take that time to sit down and read a chapter in a book or flip through one of the many, many magazines that accumulate in our house because we never have time to actually read them. Sometimes I go sit outside on the deck, enjoying the sunshine and fresh air without worrying about who's going to push who off the deck steps or who I have to swing next on the play set or who's going to try to climb up on the table or the fence. Occasionally I spend the time playing with my very neglected puppy (he's not really, but he would tell you otherwise). Mostly, I just relax for at least those 20 minutes - sometimes more, depending on my mood, my day and our "to-do" list around the house.

What I don't do is turn on the television or the radio. The boys hear it and will strain themselves to keep hearing it. I don't try to cook or clean or do laundry because, that too, makes too much noise. And, I also don't go to the computer. It sits in the office right underneath Connor's bedroom (and his bed, actually). He can hear the tick-tick-tick of Mommy blogging. I have to wait until they're actually asleep to do that, which is where I am today.

And I just thought I would share my little secret, because it's something I long thought was impossible and so very much wished to have happen. Three little boys, ages two and three, all asleep at the same time. And Mommy getting just a little bit of down time, now that really saves my sanity . . .