Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Let's Build a House!"



One of Connor's favorite lines from his new favorite book ("The Wheels on the Truck") is "Let's Build a House!"

For quite some time now, he's been fascinated by the fact that Daddy builds houses and works in construction. It's every little boy's dream, I guess, to have a Daddy that works with tools and big trucks and equipment. It's even better if that little boy gets to "help" Daddy when he works.

Tonight, Josh stopped in at the house around 5 p.m. He was getting a snack before heading back out to finish up a few things before the rain moved in later tonight. Connor, who had been napping (see post below for my new trick), heard his diesel truck pull into the driveway, and I heard him getting out of bed. I was heading up the stairs just as his little head peeked around the top corner. Getting out of bed by himself is still a new concept for him, so he looked both tired and guilty. He wasn't sure if he was allowed to be up or not. He was, and I just smiled at him. He was still really sleepy, rubbing his eyes and tucking his head down.

"Mommy carry you!" he demanded pitifully, mixing up his pronouns and holding out his arms the way he always has when he wants someone to carry him. Never mind that he's over forty pounds and half as tall as I am, he still likes to be carried, especially when he's tired.

Josh, probably taking pity on me for putting up with three kids all day, decided to invite him to go back to work with him. Despite the fact that he was still snuggling close to me and not wanting to be put down, he was nodding his head yes and saying "Connor build house with Daddy, Connor build house, too!" So he helped Daddy snack (chips and queso and Mountain Dew), they got some Gatorade to take with them, and then they headed off to work.

"I fixed a house," he told me later, very happy and excited (and finally awake). "Broken house. I fixed it." I tried to figure out just what they had been doing, asking all kinds of questions and getting very little useful information in return. Something about "hammers and screw drivers," something about "broken house," and another round of "Connor build house with Daddy!" Daddy finally explained they had merely cleaned up a building site by putting trash in the dumpster and then set a temporary electric meter for the electrician's to begin working.

Everyday moments to Daddy. An exciting adventure to his three-year old little boy.