Monday, October 6, 2008

Music Man

My big boy has added singing to his list of daily activities. I'm not really sure if it began at school, with Grammy, or at home, but it's big on his to-do list these days. We sing when we wake up. We sing at various times during the day. We sing in Mommy's truck. We sing at school (or so I'm told). And we ALWAYS sing at night before bed. We even sometimes sing in the bathtub BEFORE we sing in bed. There pretty much isn't any time that we don't sing, at least a little, these days.

A few of his favorites . . . "Twinkle, Twinkle" is our bedtime standard, and he's learned it pretty well. "Ring-Around-the-Rosie" was one of the first (with the game that Miss Lisa introduced during one of brothers' therapy sessions). "Wheels on the Bus" is absolutely from preschool and probably his hands-down favorite. I still chuckle at his insistence that the end verse is "old roof time" instead of "all 'round town." To each his own, right?

My absolute favorite, and his first attempt I suppose, is "Hap-pee Birth-day to you!" I'll never forget the day he busted that one out in the middle of Sam's as we pushed the cart past the birthday cake display (all he really cares about is the cake). Everyone within earshot (which was quite a few, since he's loud) turned to smile at my little music man.

His two newest songs, and still works in progress, are "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and "Old MacDonald" (which, surprisingly is not "Old Donal" - as in his favorite fast-food place ever - but is actually pronounced correctly). These started with Grammy a few weeks back (I think) and continued with Grandma and Pa over the weekend.

When I asked Grandma and Pa what he had been up to all weekend, I got the answer I pretty much expected. He talked, A LOT. He also apparently sang, A LOT, too. Always fun, especially with a three-year old who doesn't really have a great singing voice and also feels the need to shout EVERYTHING that comes out of his mouth.

His poor classmates don't stand a chance. He's going to out-scream (I mean, out-sing) every one of his classmates in the Christmas program at school!