Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"New School Today?"

Last Sunday, when I took Connor to visit the Exporium for the first time, he had trouble understanding where we were going and what we were going to do. Because I was taking him by himself, he thought at first we might be going to school. And then he ended up getting terribly upset when Mommy turned the wrong direction, the one going the opposite way from school!

"No, no! Not that way!" he cried, his lower lip beginning to stick out and turn into the really, really pitiful face. "I no want to go this way. Connor go to school!"

So I tried to calmly explain that we weren't going to school today, it was still two more days until school. We were going out to lunch at McDonald's and then to a cool museum. That word, of course, meant nothing to him. I even tried to talk about the boats he would get to play with, but he just couldn't understand. He thought the world was ending. I finally gave up and told him that yes, we were going to school, but it was a new school, a different kind of school with fun things that you could play with and learn from. He liked that. ("I like that, Mommy!" is a frequently heard saying in our house).

So we got there and he had a big time, especially playing with the boats. And now, it's all that he wants to do.

"Connor go to new school today? Play with boats and water and get all wet?" he asks, a hopeful look on his little face.

"Not today, Baby."

"Connor maybe go later," he says, ever the optimist. "New school. Play with boats and water and splash!"

It certainly looks like we're going to get our money's worth out of the annual pass, at least. Now, it's only a matter of Mommy or Daddy finding something to occupy them for the HOURS and HOURS that he'll spend standing at the water table, playing with boats and water and splash!