Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Kids Are Away . . .

. . . and Mommy will play. Actually, that's not completely true. The kids are away - enjoying a fun overnight visit with Grammy and Pappy. And Mommy did play, for a few hours tonight - the girls I used to work with all those years ago (going on three, for those who are counting) are still nice enough to let me tag along on girls' night out. We went to one of my favorites - P.F. Chang's - and gorged on good food and lots of good girl talk.

It's a bit ironic that girls night was something I rarely had time for when I was actually working. Not that I didn't want to go, but that I always felt so torn between work and overtime and family that it was hard to give up family time. Now that I only have family time, girls night can't come soon enough. And I appreciate it so much more, and wish I had been smart enough to value it more back then. Live and learn, I guess . . .

. . . and we won't mention the less glamorous part, that the kids are on an overnight visit because I spent all day helping Daddy work, and that I'll be doing the same thing again tomorrow.

What fun would that be?