In our house, snacking usually falls into two categories - salty or sweet.
Xander is more like me, preferring salty. I believe I've mentioned that he thinks of chips as a major food group (and Mommy doesn't really blame him). Sawyer and Connor both like sweet, though they would probably argue you need both to be well-rounded - they just like to eat in general! Daddy, most definitely falls into the sweet category. Ice cream, check. Candy bars, check. Hard candy, double check. The boys love him the most at night, especially if they're still up when the ice cream comes out.
Today during our afternoon snack time, I sat down with my favorite - sour cream and cheddar chips. Sawyer doesn't care for those and was perfectly happy with his usual Goldfish (semi-healthy, at least!). Connor, who loves the fact that he's now offered choices at meal times, didn't want either of those.
"Somethin' else!" he said to me, pointing to the cabinet where we keep the chips when I asked him what he wanted for a snack.
And at that moment I realized that my mother would not approve. There are seven (yes, seven!) different types of chips in the cabinet that are opened (there are actually 10 different types in all at the moment). We grew up in the house where you had to eat all of one before you could have another. Same went for cereal and other similar foods. There would be no food going bad and no wastefulness. The good news is that doesn't happen for us either. I don't think we ever throw chips away, we simply go though them much too fast.
Oh, and Connor picked plain chips (Wavy Lays, I think), in case you were curious.
Xander, my poor baby, missed snack time today. He's the only one napping (have I mentioned he's my favorite at the moment?). But don't worry, I'm sure he'll have some chips tonight at dinner time. He'll also probably have some fresh fruit (the other major food group for our boys) and yogurt, so don't worry we do occasionally feed them something healthy too!