Thursday, August 7, 2008

Quoted & Noted

"Connor go to the beach with Grammy!" my three year-old says excitedly.

And he says it often, about 20 times a day, if I had to guess, and that might be a low estimate. He's clearly excited about his upcoming trip. Poor Grammy, she probably has no idea what she's really in for! A 10 plus hour ride in the car with Mr. Chatterbox, during the daylight hours, to the beach. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. Have I mentioned that my three year-old never stops talking, never? Or that he loves, absolutely LOVES, to shout about every single truck, boat, car, trailer, and (you name it) that he sees while you're driving?

In preparation for the trip, I've stocked up on some new DVDs for the portable player. Hopefully that will help take the edge off for a few hours, at least. We went with some of the PBS favorites - SuperWhy, WordWorld, and JayJay the Jet Plane. We'll also probably send a movie or two. Did I mention 10 plus hours?

Connor is so excited about his trip, he can hardly sleep at night. He's still not real clear on the passage of time. I've tried explaining that we have a four more days before he leaves, but that doesn't seem to be clear. He wakes up every morning with the same thoughts.

"Connor go to the beach with Grammy! I see Grammy later today?"

We've started counting days on our fingers. Mommy holds up four, and he will follow. But you can tell he still doesn't quite get it. His smile is too big and too bright. He still thinks that this might be the day he sees Grammy and they go to the beach.

"Connor go to the beach with Grammy! Go to the beach. See ocean. Swim in the pool!"

He clearly gets what's going to happen, just not when it's going to happen! My little water baby. He can't wait.