Thursday, August 7, 2008

New Wheels!



How many strollers does one family really need?

My husband simply asked, "Why is there another stroller in our garage? Did they deliver it to the wrong house?" He did this quite seriously and without much conviction, as he knew that his wife had been seriously considering another stroller the past few months.

Earlier this week, I took the boys out to "test drive" some double-strollers at the local baby store. I love my triple stroller, it has been a sanity-saver these last few (nearly three) years with twins and a slightly older brother. But, it's simply getting too hard to push on our near daily walks that cover several miles of ground! My boys have a combined weight of over 115 lbs., which is a nice workout in cooler weather but absolutely awful in the dead heat of summer. And not a single walk goes by that my oldest doesn't say "Connor walk! Connor maybe walk a little?" It's simply time to let the boys have a little more freedom, and not having that extra seat will make us take turns more often and give everyone a chance to walk (and to listen to directions), which all the boys really need.

So, off to the store we went. I needed to actually see how my big (90th percentile still) boys would fit in the different options that were out there. Imagine the smiles and looks we got, as I pushed the boys into the store in the triple-stroller (yes, that's usually enough to get the looks) and then proceeded to go to the stroller aisle and "test" out the double-strollers! It was necessary, I promise you. My three boys would not have been well-behaved enough to simply walk into the store while Mommy checked out strollers in detail. They would have been running in three different directions, which goes to the point of why I still need a stroller of some sort. Connor is at the age where he's becoming more trustworthy to walk and to behave as Mommy asks him to do, but the little guys, not so much.

A double jogging stroller now sits in my garage. And no, I won't be jogging with it, if that idea made you chuckle. It was just the same width as the other double-strollers that sit side-by-side and looked more rugged and durable for our long distance walks. I also liked the solid handle bar across the top, as opposed to two (unconnected) curved ones on each side, typical of umbrella strollers. And it's not like the jogger is any bulkier than the triple stroller was in the truck either, so that didn't dissuade me. It's at least easier to transport - you don't have to remove all the seats like you do with the triple-stroller - it literally has two release buttons you pull and then simply fold.

So, how many strollers does one family really need. We now have six, and we've purchased all but one ourselves! Ridiculous, I know. We first bought the nice single stroller that went with the "travel system" of the infant car seat carrier. We used this maybe five times, and I wouldn't recommend it for new parents myself. When our boys were small enough to fit in the carrier, we never bothered with the stroller - even with twins! Next came the little Jeep umbrella stroller, great for once the kids get upper body control - small, compact and less cumbersome on short or long walks. Those were both bought when Connor was small.

When we found out we were expecting twins, Josh's aunt gave us a front-to-back double stroller that a family she knew had outgrown. We used it when the twins were small, as the back seat would lay totally flat like a bassinet and the boys could ride (or sleep usually) there side-by-side in comfort while Connor was thrilled to have the front seat. As the boys got bigger, we needed something with another seat. Connor was still too little to walk that far and he was too heavy to put in either the front carrier or the backpack carrier (though I did occasionally, if absolutely necessary, put one of the twins in the front carrier and push the other two in the double-stroller. But it definitely wasn't a long-term solution. So, about four months after the twins got here, we took the plunge and ordered the $700 triple stroller. I still maintain it's been worth every single penny. It's allowed me to take the boys to doctor's office visits, small shopping trips, and so many other places I never could have gone on my own. It also let me take the boys on daily walks to get us out of the house when Mommy was starting to go a little stir crazy from being a new stay-at-home parent with three little people.

When our first Florida trip was planned right before the boys first birthday, we decided the triple stroller would not be able to go, even with the huge car-top carrier. We bought a second Jeep umbrella stroller, thinking it was the cheapest and best alternative. And they have come in handy, when we're taking just the twins out together (like our failed attempt at culture earlier this summer).

And now, finally (we hope), we've purchased a double-stroller to finish out our stroller collection. The one reason I opted for the jogger over a simple Jeep double umbrella (which was about half the price), was the weight limit. The Jeep recommended only 35 lbs. in each seat, and my boys are already there. The jogger will hold up to 50 lbs. in each seat, so Connor even still meets the limit with his 40 some odd pounds (we haven't weighed the boys in a while).

And for those who are wondering, the old double stroller doesn't work for a couple of reasons, most notably the three-point harness. My boys are masters at either escaping from it by pulling legs through or bending over and playing with the dirty wheels the WHOLE time we're out. I also was not a fan of the front to back design, though I will admit it is much more convenient for getting into tighter spaces. But, my boys have a bad habit of kicking the person in front of them despite warnings and reprimands. It also seems like the boys are further away from me, which makes conversations difficult (in the event Connor occasionally stops talking and the little guys do start talking soon!). So, the old one now resides at Grammy and Pappy's house, where it's works pretty well for occasional use and doesn't have to be packed up for every afternoon adventure.

We've only used it once so far (I just put it together last night), but it worked well on our little two-mile (round-trip) journey through the neighborhood. It's definitely a lot lighter to push with just two little boys, and it handles well for something so wide. If you're actually jogging, you'd probably like the front wheel locked, but on our walks, I like the swivel feature best. The little guys definitely looked more comfortable too, which I hoped would be the case. The only down side is that now that there is no third seat, Connor of course wants to ride too! I'm sure that will change as the newness fades, but for right now, it's definitely making us take turns walking (which is a good thing for the guys anyway)!

Instead of only hearing "Connor maybe walk a while too?" We now alternate between his old favorite, and the new one - "Connor ride next?" The grass truly is always greener on the other side, isn't it?