Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"Mm, Hmm"

After spending a week with a new set of people, I was curious to see what new habits and phrases my sponge-like three-year old would bring home. He's really big on learning new things right now, and just seems to love taking in new experiences, so I figured he would come home with some fun ones.

So far, I haven't really noticed much. He misses being the center of the world, I know, from the constantly protruding lower lip I saw today every single time he didn't get his way or he had to wait a minute to get his demands met. Clearly Mommy is falling short on his expectations after a week with Grammy and the rest of the family.

But the one cute thing I have noticed is that instead of saying "yes" to answer a question, like he always has, he's started saying a rather mumbled "mm, hmm" instead. And it's not bad, by any means, but it's certainly different. And I've stopped several times today and looked up at him when he's said it with just a little bit of wonder.

Perhaps I'm imagining the non-verbal and surly teenager to come, but it makes him seem older. The eager "yes" of toddlerhood has been replaced with the very teenage-like, mumbled "mm, hmm." And I wonder where it came from? Grammy? His young cousins (mostly college age)? His Great Aunt or Uncle? His Great Grandma Kitty? Or is it just something he's picked up on his own?

My big boy - they grow up much too fast.