As a stay-at-home mom, especially one with three toddlers, I don't have the temptation that a lot of parents do for picking up fast food for meals. It's not that I wouldn't, because I truly love a McDonald's Coke and have very much missed my very frequent breakfast stops at that same place where the morning crew knew me by car and order (if not by name).
My oldest son has inherited the "Donal's" love. Twice this week the boys and I have gone out to run errands. A quick trip to Wal-Mart yesterday for new sippy cups (the dishwasher melted one of the lids and chaos has ensued without the "normal" cups for all the boys). A quick trip to Sam's Club today for more milk (what else?). And add two stops to McDonald's, one for each day. Ridiculous, I know. But my son cannot be driven past the golden arches without saying "Donal's?" in that questioning tone that says, "Am I going to get some fries or what?" It doesn't matter if he's just eaten, either.
I gave in rather easily yesterday, because we do typically have "Donal's" once a week on our Sam's trek. I wasn't really anticipating it so much today, until I heard the chanting from the middle seat, which would be Connor's. "Don-al's. Don-al's. Don-al's." I've never heard it quite like that, usually just the one questioning word. I think a meltdown may have ensued if I had taken the wrong turn out the Sam's parking lot because he absolutely knows which way to go.
So "Donal's" it was, yet again. Good thing we don't get out much, huh? I won't even think about the message it's sending an already bossy toddler to give in to such demands. I was just thinking how I could make it through lunch and into afternoon nap time without a major meltdown from any of us.