Monday, February 25, 2008

Tales from the Tub

Depending on the type of day we've had, bath time can be one of the more enjoyable moments with toddlers. Our kids all love the water (not always the case, but definitely so now), and enjoy spending time in the tub just playing. They're not so crazy about washing their hair, but we're working on that.

We have several toys that are permanent fixtures in the upstairs hallway bathroom - a Little People boat and captain (complete with purple dinosaur life raft even) and a set of colorful letters and numbers (a long ago gift from cousin Katie that is still a big hit, despite numerous teeth marks and the fact that the "K" is more of an "I" now). Connor in particular can spend hours playing with these if you well let him, well after his hands and feet have wrinkled and the water has turned ice cold. I'm pretty sure this is a big part of where he learned all his colors. The little guys mostly like to splash around and throw the letters on the sides of the tub to see if they will stick (yes, some of them do if you throw them just right - and I know this because I am, of course, expected to join in the game too).

Tonight Josh was out visiting his family with Connor, so it was just me and the two little guys, which usually means even more fun. Connor seriously does not like to wait his turn for the bath and can be rather annoying and quite whiny while he's waiting. We usually give the twins a bath at the same time, since it's easier and quicker and they don't seem to mind at all.

And I'm sure most of you know the story that little kids, especially little boys, love to pee in warm bath water. Alexander is usually guilty of this most every night. Sawyer is less predictable. Well, tonight was perhaps one of the funniest moments ever with them. I had just put Alexander in the tub, and he was looking back to see what I was doing (getting ready to put Sawyer in). As soon as they were both in the tub, they kind of looked at each other, grinned and then both started peeing at the exact same time. Twice the fun, right? It makes you wonder what goes through their little minds when they smile at each other. Do they know what they're doing, or is it just random?

At least the parenting articles tell me that taking a bath with pee in it occasionally can't hurt them. Otherwise, I'm not sure they would ever get a bath at all. Showers at two years old, perhaps?