Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Right Way

For a while now, I have suspected that I have a mild case of OCD. People who once worked with me would rave to you about my organizational skills and my reliability. They probably have no idea it was such a compulsion! I get it naturally, of course, from my mother who knows very well that there is a "right" way and a "right" place for everything. Here are just a few of the humorous examples I find myself noticing more and more in my own life:

  • Anything that uses numbers must be an even number. Our thermostat is always on 72 degrees in the winter and 76 degrees in the summer. It cannot be an odd number. Our television volume must also be even. We usually watch it at 28.0 according to our receiver - not 27.5 or even 28.5. And when I use the remote to check what's on television with the on-screen guide, I must begin at 2 (the first channel we get). It doesn't matter if I'm on channel 60, I cannot go up and then back down, I must scroll all the way to the beginning and start from 2.

  • Monday is the day that I clean the floors, every week, without fail. If for some reason I don't - say cousin Louie (whose housetraining lacks something to be desired as of yet) comes to visit or I'm not feeling well - then it throws the entire week off. Perhaps I just like to start my week with a little less dog hair, less muddy footprints, and less food crumbs scattered all over the house.

  • I must have a full tank of gas before I take any trip that leaves Lexington. It doesn't matter if I have three-quarters of a tank, it must be full. My husband routinely drives with the gas light flashing. I don't think I've ever seen it in my car (we will not mention the time we nearly ran out of gas on our New Orleans trip, when I listened to my husband who said we could wait for the next exit to stop - we ran out of gas on the "next exit" ramp, lost the power steering, and barely made it into a gas station after coasting through a major four-lane highway intersection). Perhaps that's my motivation.

  • Our pantry is ridiculous. People will tell you it's very organized and complete. I will fully admit it's ridiculous. I feel the need to stockpile things, because I cannot stand to run out of anything. Point of fact, we have not been to the regular grocery store in over a month. We've, of course, been to Sam's a few times - milk, bread, fruit and diapers are essential needs - but no actual grocery trips. I have yet to run out of anything and already have a "full" list for my next grocery trip. I will not begin to tell you the number of soft drinks that currently exist in our walk-in pantry (much less how many more are on the list to be bought!).

  • Everything must be neat and clean. While this has slipped quite a bit since I brought the big, hairy dog and the three messy toddlers into my life, it's still there. In the mornings, beds must be made and dirty clothes put away. Even empty hangers must be taken to the laundry room for my daily load of laundry. Because every thing has a color-coded hanger - kids are by size and our clothes are by type. After meals, the stove top must always be cleaned (first with soap, and then with Windex). The dishes are practically spotless before they even hit the dishwasher, because they must be rinsed immediately after use. Toys must be picked up every night after the kids are in bed. Order must be restored!

Like I said, a few examples. I'm sure there are many, many more. So, my children will inherit this naturally as well. I can already see a little of it in Sawyer, who loves to organize pens in the office and chalk on the sidewalk (instead of actually coloring with it). I see it in Alexander who likes to line up cars, only facing the correct direction (no bumpers first, please). And I see it in Connor who has learned from his mother that you cannot leave your room without putting things "back" in the morning - toys on the dresser, pillows on the bed, dirty pajamas in the laundry room. And of course, the empty color-coded shirt hanger too. Poor kids, what else are they going to learn from Mommy?