Friday, January 24, 2014

Happy, Happy Birthday!



It was a week-long birthday celebration. The Martin Luther King holiday meant the boys were off from school on Monday, and snow has kept them out the rest of the week.

Because of their gluten-free-casein-free (GFCF) diet, we can't do a typical cake. Last year we got special cupcakes from a local bakery that offers GFCF cupcakes. The boys took two bites and were ready to toss the rest of the $4 cupcakes away. So this year we opted for the homemade kind. Betty Crocker has a GFCF box mix, and Duncan Hines as a GF icing.

Xander wanted cupcakes all week. He loved getting the big number 8 candle out and lighting it each and every time to make his wish. He also wanted his birthday hat, each and every time, if I would let him get up from the table and go get it. He would actually eat the whole cupcake. Sawyer just licked the icing off the top and discarded the cake.

It's hard to believe my babies are eight years old. I guess I can't call them babies anymore ...