Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Road Trip

 


Once a year just isn't enough. And the time always seems to pass much to quickly. But with busy lives, jobs and families of our own, we take what we can get.

Haley and I were college roommates. The computer matched us, and it did a pretty good job. We'll not talk about what it did the second year ...

Once a year we meet in her hometown, where her parents still live. It's the halfway driving point for her and for me. And her amazing parents are always wonderfully willing hosts and babysitters for her two girls.

We get to do a little shopping, a little eating, some drinking and lots of just catching up on each other's lives. Between us there are five kids - ages 9, 8, 8, 5 and nearly 1. She has all girls. I have all boys. Not a lot in common, but common ground just the same.

So grateful that my husband willingly offers to keep our boys at home for the long weekend. He even gave up his truck for the weekend, as mine was acting up and not up for the six-hour round-trip drive. So thankful that Haley's amazing parents always welcome us into their home and make sure we have a great time (dinners out, home-cooked meals, happy children playing while we catch up, and even a  trip to the circus for all of us the last day)!

Mostly, I'm happy that Haley and I have been able to stay in touch despite the distance, the busy lives and jobs and families. Good friends are just as important as family, even if we don't get to see them nearly as often.

And I got to meet this sweet little one for the first time ...


Good times ...