A few weeks back, Josh and I got to sneak away for a few days. Okay, maybe not sneak. We did have to arrange for sitters. And reservations. A leave a book of instructions about food and school and therapy and baseball.
Our time away came in the middle of two very big work projects for me. I slept maybe four hours in the two days before we left. Miraculously, I was able to stay awake on the drive down. I may have crashed early and long, but I stayed awake. That was an accomplishment.
We had a great time in our home-away-from-home. We didn't do much hiking this time around. The very short hike we did do very nearly did me in. I'll advise not hiking the day you wake up from said crash, you know, after not really eating or sleeping for two days. I kept trying to pass out on the hike up, which probably isn't good. Great view from the top, though.
No, we didn't hike much after that. But we had some much-needed down time. Sleeping in. Eating out. Watching a movie. Shopping (for the kids mostly, of course). Driving through the mountains and just enjoying the peace and quiet.
Grandma and Grandpa from the lake came up to stay with the boys. It was their first time keeping all three boys at our house overnight. It all went well. The boys likely disapproved of the no screen rule. But they know better than to argue with Grandma. And Grandma and Grandpa might have been ready to get back home, since they practically passed us in the driveway as we came in. But that's also understandable.
There was a reason we needed some time away. Life with three little boys can be busy and chaotic and stressful at times.
But as much fun as it is to go away for a few days, it's always equally fun to come back to big hugs and arms reaching out to hold on a little longer than normal at bed time. It's nice to be missed.