This weekend the boys and I tried something new. Homemade chocolate chip cookies. Now most of you who know me know that cookies are not really new at our house. I have a wonderful homemade chocolate chip recipe that I use for teacher appreciation gifts throughout the year.
But these cookies were new. They were the first batch of gluten free casein free (GFCF) chocolate chip cookies. Sort of homemade in that I had to stir the really stiff batter. But not so homemade I mixed all of those unusual (read hard to find and even more expensive to buy) flour types to replace regular wheat flour.
So, the first batch was this weekend. The cookie dough tasted awful, but the cookies weren't bad. Sawyer had five in one sitting, and would have kept on eating if you let him. Xander and Connor each settled for three.
Like so many things on this life, it's probably going to take a lot of trial and error. But you have to start somewhere.
We started with Bob's Red Mill gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix, added extra Enjoy Life chocolate chips and just a little vanilla extract, mixed with an Earth Balance butter stick and an egg.
Not like my regular homemade ones, but not bad.
Next time we might add more sugar. And more chocolate chips. You can never go wrong with more chocolate chips (even if they are five dollars for an incredibly small bag).
Just another day in the life ...