Thursday, April 26, 2012

Kindness is Power

Because it is the end of the school year, I am reflecting on how it has gone and thinking about what we need to work on at home this summer and what we need to start planning for next school year.

(Yes, really. While I am looking forward to swimming in the pool and playing outside as much as my boys already are, I am also thinking about how much time we need to be spending on "homework" for school and speech therapy, about what needs to be done before the end of this school year and the beginning of the next, and also whether or not to add outside occupational therapy in for both of the boys. Welcome to the life of a special needs parent).

One of the things that I have loved about this school year is a club that is offered at the boys' school. It's called "Kindness is Power" or "KIP" for short. I've mentioned it a couple of times on here, most recently on our trip to a local bounce place and also our trip to the local bowling alley.

It is a club designed to help kids like Sawyer and Xander. It offers social interaction and inclusion, two things both of them certainly need in the school setting. We are so thankful they have been able to participate, that the club is there and that is has had such a positive impact on their school year. Sawyer's resource teacher is actually one of the sponsors, which is just another one of the many reasons we love her.

Here is the letter we received at the beginning of the school year explaining what the club is and requesting permission to participate.


Acceptance. Inclusion. Integration. All good things.

Kindness is, indeed, power.