Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Giving Back

Giving Back by here we wander
Giving Back, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.
Today I got the chance to do something really good.

We live in one of the states with a massive tornado outbreak last week. Lives were lost and complete towns were leveled.

We were one of the lucky ones. Though there was a lot of rain and little bit of hail, our town was relatively unscathed. The boys were released from school several hours early, and we were home safe and sound before the outbreak of storms. There was one tornado warning, but it moved south and east of us. And it leveled a town about an hour and half away.

Our town was fine. Our family, both immediate and distant, were untouched by the storms.

And the boys' school is doing something to help. They are collecting school supplies to donate to the elementary school in that town. The elementary school that for the last week has been used as an American Red Cross shelter. The elementary school that is so damaged it cannot even be used, but will be moved to a nearby warehouse that was out of the storm's path.

Our school asked for two things from each student ... a pair of scissors and a book. But that hardly seemed like enough for people who have lost absolutely everything, including their elementary school. So when I went to the store today, I picked up a few different things I thought the kids might need.

And I bought three of each.

Because it easily could have been us. It could have been our school. Or our town. It could have been us.

Of all the things that I bought today, these were the ones that mattered most. From my three boys to three others (boys or girls). From our town to theirs. Because it so easily could have been us ...