Friday, November 18, 2011

A Day at School

What Noise? by here we wander
What Noise?, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.
On Wednesday, the boys' school invited family and friends to enjoy Thanksgiving lunch with their kids. It was a big day.

Normally these type of events never work out quite right. Until last year, the boys had always been at separate schools and generally events seemed to fall on the same day at the same time at two locations in opposite directions. But this year, the stars aligned. Sawyer's lunch was at 10:45, Xander's followed at 11:15 and then Connor's was at 11:35.

And ideally I would have gotten a photo of each of the boys at lunch. But quite honestly, it was such a busy, loud place that I had trouble just getting the kids to eat, much less stop and take pictures. It also was really crowded, so elbow room for photos wasn't very ideal.

With Sawyer, I spent most of lunch attempting to have him to sit still and stop dancing in the crowded aisles. He also had a tendency to knock his food around, often onto the floor. While we have a five-second rule at home, this doesn't exactly apply at school.

Xander doesn't eat the school lunch like his brothers, being the pickiest of all three eaters. So he got to sit at his table first, and with the help of his school noise-blocking earphones, the even louder noise and chaos of the cafeteria didn't phase him at all. He actually ate all of his lunch and didn't have any trouble (which explains why I was able to snap his photo).

The problem for Xander came when it was time for him to leave. Because I was staying for Connor's lunch. He did not approve, at all. He was giving his aide all kinds of trouble, screaming and falling down on the floor. So I walked with him to his next location, knowing Connor was well entertained, as Grammy and Aunt Kelly had shown up to join him for lunch as well.

I missed a big part of Connor's lunch, but he was perfectly entertained by his classmates. He spent most of it laughing and being silly, and didn't really eat until the last few minutes when he started shoveling everything into his mouth. I'm beginning to see why he comes home so hungry, I think.

It was a good day. I got to see and talk to most of the boys teachers, as well as a few other classmates' parents. It's great to see the boys in a place where they are clearly doing so well and where they are in good and loving hands with their team. I always worry about the twins, since they can't tell me how their day is going or whether they are enjoying their new school. It was nice to see all of them going about their school day with a smile on their faces.