Thursday, October 20, 2011

First Field Trip. Ever.

Two Little Pumpkins by here we wander
Two Little Pumpkins, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.
The twins spent their first three school years in Early Start. By nature of the program, field trips just aren't possible. But this year the boys have moved up to kindergarten, and the school experience has broadened.

The day is longer. There are more classmates, more teachers, even more classrooms (two special classes each day, on a six day rotation, in different rooms with different teachers). Lunch is in the cafeteria instead of the room. There are trips to the library and the gym. It's just a whole other world.

All in all, the boys have transitioned well. We have been impressed with their ability to adapt to the whole experience. We have also been impressed with the new team in place to work with them during the day.

Last week, the boys had their first ever field trip. A few days before said trip, it occurred to me that neither of the boys had ever riden on a school bus. But their teachers were already working on strategies to help them - bringing comfort items and snacks, using picture schedules to prepare them for what was coming.

And, as it turns out, the bus was not that big of a deal. Both boys loved the bus. And I knew it shortly after they arrived, because I had a text message from one of their teachers (see why I love their team?).

Both boys had one of their aides with them on the trip. Grammy and Pappy also met the boys at their destination - a local pumpkin patch. I was, unfortunately, already scheduled to make my post-op follow-up visit with the surgeon. So I had to sit this one out.

Now the boys have all been to pumpkin patches before. We usually take them once or twice every year, often with help from Grammy and Pappy. We had never been to this particular one (which is saying something, because we've been to several). But the boys wandered around and had a pretty good time. Sawyer was less impressed than Xander, but that's par for the course.

The boys brought home the pumpkins you see above. And while pretty, I have to admit I was a little disappointed. When we've done the pumpkin patch thing in the past, the kids always bring home a  medium-size pumpkin. Nothing huge, but at least big enough for a face or a jack-o-lantern carving if you're so inclined. Not so much this year. Connor would have noticed and been disappointed, but Sawyer and Xander were not really concerned. So I guess it's a good thing Connor's upcoming trip is one of the other, larger patches. I'm sure he will bring home a bigger pumpkin later this month.

The point is the boys had a good day. They managed their first ever field trip (and school bus ride) without incident. They, along with their aides, were part of the same experience as all of the other kindergarten classmates.

They are adapting. It's never going to be a typical journey for them, but they are finding their own way. Every single day, I am impressed with how well they are doing, and how lucky we have been to have another great group of people working with our boys.