The poor kid.
Sawyer has always had more trouble than any of our boys when it comes to sleeping. He hasn't napped consistently since around his second birthday, and he hasn't required more than 7 or 8 hours of sleep per night since that time either. His internal clock can be way off at times.
Last night was one of those times. He was tired late in the afternoon, laying around on the couch in the kids' playroom. Around 7:30 he finally gave it up, one foot still in the talking letters toy tote and a pillow pulled over his head (he craves pressure, always, but especially when he sleeps).
At first I was worried he might be getting sick. The weather is changing. It's that time of year. And he's at a much bigger school, with lots of different classrooms and potential germ-carriers, I mean classmates.
But no, three hours later we realized he was not getting sick. His internal clock was just off. He took a three-hour nap.
And then he was done.
Josh went to his room to get him. We let him sit on the couch with us for a few minutes, but he seemed sleepy still. I took him for one more potty break, then asked him to go back night-night with Mommy. He took my hand willingly, and let me lead him back to his dark room where we both climbed into his bed.
I stayed for half an hour. He was sleepy and full of yawns, but he just couldn't give it up. I closed him in his room, told him night-night and left to find my own bed.
Sleep didn't find him until very late this morning. He was still wide-awake around 4 a.m. when I made another pass at laying down with him to try to help him sleep. It lasted 20 minutes and I once again closed him in. He only wanted to jabber, not lie still and try to sleep. And Mommy was still sleepy.
I heard him off and on the next few hours, and we suspect he fell asleep again sometime between 6 and 7 this morning. Which made him a bear to get up at a little after 7 to get ready for school.
We put a note in his folder for his teachers. Last night I had written about keeping an eye out for signs of sickness, because this child is never tired. Unless he's off schedule. And then you're in for a rough couple of days.
I updated his folder this morning to warn them about the sleepless night. He may or may not crash on them at school, but he will be cranky. And sooner or later, he will crash. Could be at school. Could be at speech therapy after school (of course it's today of all days). Could be after we get home.
But make no mistake, the crash will come. It always does. It's a vicious cycle.
Last night was the first rough night, but it will not be the only one. It generally takes a few days to get back on track. Here's hoping it happens sooner rather than later. And that his teachers survive the day!