Saturday, September 10, 2011

Thankful

It was just a few weeks ago, in those last few days before the new school year started, that I was here saying the same thing - how thankful I am. A few weeks have not changed that. In fact, I am even more thankful than before.

I spent most of last year worrying about the end of Early Start, of the familiar and comfortable first school our twins ever attended, and the beginning of kindergarten, of a bigger school with longer days and lots of new faces. I alternately pretended like it was not happening and stressed that it was happening much too soon.

As I have mentioned many times before, our Early Start experience was beyond wonderful. Every single person who worked with our boys was nothing short of amazing. They began as teachers, eventually became friends, and were more like family after three school years. As I told each of them in their end-of-year photo book gifts, they will always be family to us.

And that, I think, was my biggest fear.

We were so incredibly lucky in our first school experience for all of our boys. Connor did incredibly well in his private preschool. He also thrived in his magnet kindergarten program (we were a little hesitant to give it up after one year, but the twins could not have managed the open complex school setting and we could not handle another five years of two different schools on different schedules and opposite ends of town). The twins made huge strides in their three school years in public preschool. They had amazing teachers, aides and therapists who worked hard to reach them, to help them move forward and find their way. It was hard to believe we would find that magical combination again.

But we have.

The boys' new neighborhood school is absolutely amazing. Connor is doing well in first grade, loving a classroom that actually has windows this year (six, as he is quick to point out). He has made friends and is doing well with his reading and school work. He comes home happy, and excited about what he's been doing.

And the twins ... where do I start? After a bumpy first day (mostly a new car line procedure), they have done amazingly well. There a few bad moments here and there, but overall they are doing better than I could have expected this soon into the new year. And their new team is equally incredible. I get constant information and feedback about their progress. Their teachers and aides walk them out of school every afternoon, offering a report of their day, sharing any breakthroughs and talking through any obstacles. If there are challenges or concerns throughout the day, I get instant emails and phone calls. They are always open to advice, willing to work with the boys' unique needs, and have gone out of their way to be friendly and helpful and inclusive in this new school setting.

Just one day last week, we had a scheduling issue when Josh and I both needed to be at work early. Sawyer's resource teacher, Ms. K, graciously agreed to come into school a little early to receive the boys, knowing they would not be able to independently handle the gym that the school keeps open for other early arrivals. Xander's aide, Mrs. G, also was there, helping him navigate the gym that morning. It's just one example of the many ways they go out of their way to help our boys in this new transition.

As it turns out, my biggest fear has proven unfounded. Our first team was great and set the bar incredibly high. The fact that the next team is living up to and exceeding those unrealistic expectations is even more incredible. I am so thankful to all of them - the Early Start team who got us to where we are and continues to help in the boys' transition as well as the kindergarten team who continues to impress us with their dedication and efforts to work with the boys in this very big transition to help them be successful.

And I suppose I should have worried less. I read and hear a lot of horror stories about school districts and schools that are not helping so many children like our boys, with struggles and individual needs that have to be addressed. But our school district has been nothing but supportive and amazing. From the district and school facilitators, to the teachers and aides, the countless therapists, the principals and even the general staff. We have been met by nothing but amazing people who welcome our boys with open arms and try their best to help them navigate their school days.

Just a week or so ago, I sent a thank-you email to the district-wide autism specialist. Despite the sheer number of kids that she must oversee and monitor, she has always been a prominent member of our team. From showing up at IEP meetings to randomly showing up at their school to monitor the boys during their day, she is always there, offering suggestions and recommendations, offering her experience and expertise to help our boys find their way. Early into this school year, our new team was worried about the amount of time Sawyer was able to stay in the traditional classroom versus what his IEP requires, and she came out to spend the day with him, making suggestions and recommendations, before calling another ARC meeting. She is another constant advocate, always looking for the best solution that helps our boys reach their full potential.

Autism is not always an easy journey. It is often a lonely one. Our path changed, when so many of our friends are still going on that happily normal path. We have a path that includes therapy, special education, paraprofessionals in school, IEP and ARC meetings, and so many non-traditional things. If that's not your world, it's hard to relate to it. But it's our world. And to have people walking that road with you, understanding those unique challenges and so willingly going out of their way to help you and your children navigate them, makes the journey so much easier.

Our school teams have been an amazingly supportive part of our journey. The boys are, and always have been, in good and loving hands. And it makes me incredibly thankful.