All summer long, I have been battling a mild medical issue. Nothing serious, just more annoying than anything.
After several doctor visits, the consensus was that I was suffering from a mild case of sciatica. X-rays showed a slight narrowing in between two areas of my lower back, which could be either a disc issue or a disc and nerve issue. Either way, I was having some mild lower back pain and significant pain in my left leg.
Our initial course of treatment included exercise (mostly walking) in combination with some mild, mostly over-the-counter drugs. First it was a lot (as in eight tablets) of extra strength Tylenol on a timed schedule. When that stopped working, we moved up to a once-a-day anti-inflammatory drug.
Late last week, everything changed rapidly. All of the medication stopped being effective, and in addition to a lot of left leg pain returning, I was also losing feeling in the lower half of my left leg.
Our first call was to the family doctor, who immediately phoned in a prescription for steroids to try to get the swelling under control. No such luck.
Late Friday night, I made my first trip to the ER. I received an IV for fluids and higher-level pain medications and was sent home with orders to follow up with my doctor on Monday morning.
First thing Monday, I set up an appointment with my doctor. I could hardly walk, even with the help of a cane or crutches. I was given a prescription for even more pain medication, and an MRI and a surgery consult were scheduled for later that afternoon.
Everything led to the same conclusion - I had a ruptured disc in my lower back that was compressing on a nerve that ran the length of my left leg. Surgery was scheduled for first thing Wednesday morning.
Only I didn't quite make it that long. By Tuesday night, all of the high-level pain medication was ineffective. I couldn't walk. Or sit. Or stand. I could barely breathe without the whole left side of my body shutting down with pain.
We made another trip to the ER. I was rushed back, hooked up on an IV again, and given even stronger pain medication. I was admitted overnight, to be held for surgery in the morning.
Surgery went well. The leg pain was gone immediately after I woke up late Wednesday afternoon. I have been in and out of a drug haze the last few days, doing a lot of sleeping and a little limited walking.
My next setback was the nausea. Weak from not having an appetite for the last week and also dazed with all of the pain medications, I simply could not eat. So another phone call was made, and anti-nausea medication was also prescribed.
Today is a better day. I am up and moving. I am eating a little bit, even though nothing tastes very good just yet.
Initial recovery is one to two weeks. I will still have strict limitations on lifting and even basics like driving (not at all with pain medication). Total recovery is expected in four to six weeks.
Sigh. Just what we needed. Stay-at-home Mommy out of commission for at least a month. We are very lucky that family and friends have stepped up big the last few days and weeks to help out at home with the boys. And for that, we are once again thankful.
Not healed yet, but getting there. Day by day ...