Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Here We Go Again ...

Safe! by here we wander
Safe!, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.
Fall baseball is already in full swing. The league opened up practices last weekend and games start this weekend. So far, Connor has had two practices and one scrimmage (see above photo). He has two more practices again this week before his first game on Sunday. And that's just the first week.

Did I mention that we were incredibly unhappy with Connor's previous baseball league, that it seemed incredibly disorganized and not very instructional? I think I may have added a few more rants details here.

This year we moved Connor to another league. Everyone we talked to gave the league the highest recommendations, offering only one caution - it was incredibly competitive.

Fall ball is, of course, a little more laid back. And that's good. Because while Connor loves the game and does pretty well with the basics, he really needs some good instruction. And in only our first week, I can already tell you that he's been given more instruction than the sum total of what he had in two seasons (one Fall, one Spring) in his other league.

This is little league baseball. His coach is constantly watching what he is doing, offering suggestions, making corrections, and offering encouragement. Before and after each play, the coach is ... well, coaching. If they're batting, he's offering them tips on pitches and their swing. If they're fielding, he's constantly asking them where the next play should be and telling each player what they should be doing whether it's covering bases, backing up players or getting the ball into the infield.

I know it's early in the season. Things may change. But right now, I could not be happier with our decision. Connor is not only playing baseball, he's also learning how to be a better player. He's learning the basics of the game, and improving his own skills. And he's having a lot of fun doing it.

I also feel the need to mention that so far, the schedule has not changed once. That's right. When coach tells us there is a practice or a game, the time and the location stay the same. We also haven't practiced on a grassy field, but on real, actual baseball fields. And we've used the batting cages to practice batting. How refreshing.

We won't talk about how much the twins still hate baseball. It has nothing to do with the game or the league, simply that they have no interest in being strapped into a stroller for several hours, several nights a week, at a dusty baseball field. As the younger sister of a lifelong baseball player, I kind of see their point.

But it's about finding balance. Connor deserves something of his own, even if the twins have to sacrifice a little for it. Heaven knows he sacrifices a lot to their needs and to simply be their older brother. Balance. And baseball, because that's what Connor loves.