Big Boy, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.
Now don't let the photo deceive you - he can't actually ride that way just yet.
And yes, we are aware he's about to outgrow the bike. We saved the training wheels for when it passes down to Xander (and perhaps one day Sawyer, though he has never shown even the slightest interest in riding a bike).
One day last week Connor and I spent an hour or so practicing, by which I mean I hunched over and held onto the back of the bike as we made several passes on the sidewalk in front of our house and our neighbors' houses. Connor is neither ready for me to let go, nor able to balance on his own just yet.
The funny part was just telling him we were going to practice. His immediate response was, "But what if I fall?" as if that would be the most terrible thing ever.
So we had to dig around and find the original safety equipment that came with his bike helmet - the matching knee and elbow pads. We haven't used them for much of anything yet, as he wasn't really prone to falling with training wheels on.
So the training wheels have come off, and Connor is starting to learn how to ride his bike. I have a feeling it's going to be a long, hot summer. And that I'm going to have an aching back for a while, too.