Thursday, June 9, 2011

Just One More

On Deck by here we wander
On Deck, a photo by here we wander on Flickr.

The Spring baseball season is quickly coming to a close. The twins are applauding and cheering in the background, in case you can't hear them. Connor is despondent. When I told him that there was likely only one more game left, his little face just crumpled. The tournament game is Saturday, you see, and it's single elimination, which means our team of (mostly) new players, doesn't stand a chance.

"Just one more?" Connor complained. "How about fifteen more? Or a hundred more?"

Yes, that's really what he said to me. The kid would play baseball every single day if he could. He LOVES it.

And that's what makes it so sad that the season has been so terrible. I'm still saving my commentary on the league until the season is completely over, but let's just say it's been a rough season for the parents and the coaches. The kids are still having fun, which is saying a lot, after the season they've been through. And that's something, I suppose.