The New Tube, originally uploaded by cheryl.
Two guesses how the boys and I are spending our holiday weekend. Hint, it involves lots of sun and water, good food and time with family.
The boys and I drove down to spend the holiday weekend at the lake with Grandma and Grandpa. Cousins Austin and Kyndal (and Uncle Brian) will be joining us for part of the weekend, which will make Connor's day. He loves hanging out with his cousins.
Today we took the boat out on the water for the first time. The water is a little high and a lot dirty (in places). It's not nearly as much fun riding when you're dodging logs (not sticks, mind you, but entire trees floating in the lake). But after a short ride, and a few pulls of the new tube, we found a clean spot with a good breeze and lots of sun.
The twins spent their first afternoon on the water actually enjoying themselves the entire time (minus the first few minutes of adjusting to the wind and noise, in which both boys had their hands over their ears). They sat on the back deck, dipping their toes in the water and splashing. They both even climbed on the new tube and splashed around - a first for both of them. Sawyer also took a few dips, including on unplanned tumble off the tube.
Did I mention the water was freezing? As in really, really cold. Even Connor complained, and he's not one to complain about water. Not that it stopped him from getting wet. He rode the tube, which got him pretty wet (the new one splashes him when he rides solo because he's not heavy enough to weight the back down), and then he just jumped off the tube in the end to swim back to the boat. Where he then proceeded to take several jumps off the back deck, on purpose mind you, and then took one unplanned tumble when Xander pushed him (so Connor says, and in all truth, it was quite likely).
I also found myself in the freezing cold water. I was nice enough to ride the tube with Connor, to help weight it down so he might actually enjoy a ride without being splashed in the face the whole time. And toward the end, we were both about to roll over on it, so I took one for the team and simply let go. And I got thrown into the icy water. I also took another dip, trying to see if Sawyer wanted in the water - he really seemed to want to, but not that time. He slowly inched himself in on the ladder a while later. I also took another unplanned dip when one of our boys (yes, Xander, I'm talking about you) decided to chuck his juice box into the lake. I know the lake was already dirty, but we simply don't do things like that and leave it there. So I climbed in to retrieve. At this point I was already numb with cold anyway, so it wasn't so bad.
You can't go on the lake without getting in, right? Apparently Connor, Sawyer and I all thought so. The rest of the family decided they could actually pass and wait for a warmer day. Regardless, we all had a fun day on the water. A nice break from school and work and baseball and the crazy schedule that is our life.
Sun. Water. Waves. The good stuff.