It's felt longer than normal, what with all the snow days the last week of school, but Christmas Break is nearly half over already. Ours has been a quiet one at home for the most part.
I wish I could say the boys have enjoyed sleeping in, but we all know that just isn't the case in our house. Connor, on certain days, has enjoyed the luxury. Today it was nearly 10 o'clock when he rolled out of bed. The twins haven't varied from their 4:30ish routine in a while, though we do get the occasional 6:30 or 7 morning.
There have been lots of toys (and rotating of toys). The Hot Wheels cars are the disaster, I mean play choice, of the moment. All hundred plus of them are scattered across the play room floor, along with tracks stretching the length of the room. It's a minefield in there at the moment. Last week it was Lincoln Logs and Legos. I'm sure it will be something else next week (you know, after Santa and the family deliver their presents to the boys).
There have also been lots of movies and computer games. What else are you going to do when it's freezing outside and covered in snow and ice? We snuggle on the couch under warm blankets and take turns picking movies. Or we fight over using the computer (I've won for the moment, but Xander is circling).
And we've also managed to attract quite a few visitors this week, too.
On Monday, I had a work meeting to attend for a few hours. Aunt Kelly and her stepdaughter Jayden came over to keep the twins company. Connor was on his overnight adventure with Grammy, so he missed out on that one. But not to worry, he had other things to keep him entertained. And Grammy, Pappy and Louie also joined us for dinner Monday night when they brought Connor back home.
Connor's friend B came over Tuesday afternoon and stayed the night with us. The boys had a big time playing. I think they were ready for a little break by the end of the second day, but they did well for the most part. It's hard sharing your stuff and being expected to do the same things for that long in a row, so I had to keep reminding them that they could choose to play different games at the same time.
Yesterday Grandma and Grandpa from the lake came up for a visit. We all met up with Uncle Brian and Cousins Austin and Kyndal for dinner at the old Cracker Barrel, our family favorite. The three amigos (Austin, Kyndal and Connor) had a big time drinking their Cherry Cokes and acting like big kids together. The twins surprised us by eating an entire meal in relative calm (there were a few loud "buzz-a-bees" by an unnamed twin). Daddy stayed home to study for his last fire test before the holiday break, so we took him something back for a study break.
Today Connor got a surprise visit from his friend P who lives next door. They've been happily playing in the play room for a while now. Connor's brothers are not always the best play friends for him, so we're happy to have his friends over any chance we get.
And that's been our break so far. The holiday - and my work week - are fast approaching. I won't tell Connor that school will follow close behind!