Sawyer slept in today.
Normally, that means he slept until maybe 8 or 9 a.m. Because, after all, he is our early riser. He's usually awake and moving by around 6:30 a.m. He requires much less sleep than the rest of us. No more than 8 to 10 hours total in a day.
Every once in a while, it might even mean 10 a.m. One day this week I had to wake him up for school about that time, and it was a hard wake up, let me tell you. I dressed him while he was still asleep, if that tells you anything. He would kind of open his eyes and look at me for a moment, but then he'd close them and tuck his head back under my chin. He wasn't ready to be up yet.
When the kid sleeps, he really sleeps. He goes and goes and goes until he crashes. Often it's quick and complete. He can be sitting or standing even, and just fall over asleep. He's hard to wake up, either with noise or movement. He sleeps and wakes to his own schedule. It's usually pretty predictable.
Not today. No, today the kid slept until after 1. In the afternoon.
According to Grammy, he crashed about 9 o'clock last night. He wasn't even up for playing after bath time, which is a treat the boys only get with sitters. He just crashed on her and went to sleep.
And he was up this morning, maybe around 7:30 or so for a little while. But then he fell back asleep. And he slept. And slept and slept. Until 1 o'clock in the afternoon.
I'm still in shock. I don't think the kid has ever slept for that amount of time, even counting the one break in between. Hopefully sleeping that much at one time has not short-circuited his schedule. I don't think I'm up for a middle-of-the-night awakening that lasts until bed time tomorrow night.
Let's be honest. I'm not even up for a 6 a.m. awakening. I think 1 o'clock in the afternoon sounds great.