Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Bottomless Pit

Also known as my five-year old son.

Last night for dinner we had a rare treat, something we haven't had in quite a while. We grilled ribeye steak outside. And no, it's not warming up any in our part of the world, we just wanted to.

So my five-year old is incredibly excited by this turn of events. He LOVES steak. He danced around the whole time saying "Yummy steak!" over and over again. He then proceeded to eat an entire ribeye, you know, an adult-size portion. He even ate the less choice parts, the ones we often save as scraps for our puppy. He also ate mashed potatoes and green peas and roll. And then he wanted seconds, on everything. Which he also proceeded to eat, all except a few peas, which are his least favorite of the meal.

Today for lunch, he was equally ravenous. He had two whole pieces of ham, about 25 or 30 Stax potato chips, and an entire can of mandarin oranges. And he was still hungry. He had some more chips and a big cup of milk.

And then an hour later, when it was time for his brothers to have their lunch after school, he was hungry again. As I start putting out their plates, he comes walking up and says,

"I love applesauce. I like grapes. And yogurt. And graham crackers."

Yes, you like just about everything. We know.

"Mommy, I'm hungry!"

And that's why our grocery bill is out of control. Bottomless pit, also known as the five-year old.