Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bad Habits

You would think it would take more than a week to pick up a really bad (and annoying) habit. You would be wrong.

Grandma and Grandpa like candy. They always have a lot of candy. Fruit slices (jelly candy coated with sugar). Little candy bars in assorted flavors (think at least five kinds, if not more). M&Ms. Assorted holiday candy (chocolate covered raisins, chocolate peanut clusters, peanut brittle, etc.) You get the idea.

So after every meal (and sometimes in between), the kids got to pick a piece of candy for dessert. And now that's all one little (big) boy can think about. Candy, candy, candy.

Most of his meals this week have been on the light side, as in he eats about half of what he normally eats. And then he looks up, smiles and says to you:

"I ate all my food, now I have a candy!"

You look back at him. Because even if we're going to have candy, and that's a big if, this is not an appropriate way to make the request.

"I ate all my food now. I a good boy. I have a candy now? Please?"

That's a little better. It works some of the time. For now anyway. We're slowly weaning the kid off the candy. It's been a bit ridiculous.