Thursday, November 19, 2009

Out of Order

You don't know how much you use the computer, until it stops doing what it's supposed to do. Our internet went down yesterday morning. And was off until just a few minutes ago.

Now Connor and I are fighting over who gets to use it first. It seems we are both technology addicted. He wants to play games (what he was trying to do yesterday when we realized the service was out). I want to see what's going on in the world. And I'm bigger, so I win.

The bad news is we missed Xander's story time today (we had gone for Sawyer's yesterday), because the repair tech called just as I was leaving to drop the twins off at school. Connor and I had planned to drop them off and stay for the 11 a.m. story time, but it was not to be. The tech was willing to wait for us to return rather than continue on his route, where he may or may not have been able to come back to our area today.

As it turns out, the last repair techs who worked on our service didn't do such a great job (about a year ago when the house behind us was built and our service crashed). They ran a new wire, but then they put the wire in the direct path of the utility box cover, so every time there was any pressure on the cover, it was essentially pushing down on and damaging the wire. As today's tech told me, it was kind of like having the wire in a door and repeatedly slamming the door on it. Not so great for the wire. Or our internet service.

It had been much slower lately, but I assumed it was just our computer processor getting old or even the new anti-virus software that had updated itself recently. Turns out it was neither, because it's much faster and reliable now.

It's so nice when things work the way they're supposed to.

And now, Connor is ready for his games. He says you can wait until later for more updates.