The twins are picky eaters. They have been from day one. But if you happen to find something that they do like, watch out. Because they will literally eat you out of house and home.
Yogurt and applesauce, they consume by the gallon. Chips or crackers, by the pound. Bread, especially the homemade roll variety, just disappears.
And that's the story one of Sawyer's teachers shared with me one day this week. He apparently likes the school rolls, likes them so much that once his is gone he immediately gets up and begins searching for more. And he's not particular about where they come from, be it the serving tray or other people's trays. Doesn't matter to him, he just reaches right down to take it from wherever he happens to find it.
You'd think his classmates would be on to him by now, that they would guard those favorite foods from his grabby little hands. Because he doesn't ask, you know, he just takes and it goes immediately from hand to mouth.
But his classmates are not only on to him, they actually encourage him. Sawyer's teacher explained that each of the kids who sit at Sawyer's table for lunch will actually not eat their rolls on purpose those days, even though they, too, like them, because they get so excited to see him walk up and take it from their tray. They actually want him to have it, even though they like it, too.
How sweet is that? Though I'm sure he doesn't actually need four rolls (that's how many people sit at a table), I love the selflessness behind it. I am grateful that his classmates not only accept his differences, but also embrace them. They cheer him on and make allowances for the things he doesn't yet understand or know how to do, like perhaps ask for a roll instead of stealing one.
And I love that. I love that school is turning out to be such a positive experience for him, that he has teachers and therapists who love and work with him on his level, that his classmates overlook some of his quirky and cool behavior and go out of their way to make him happy.
It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one who gives in to that adorable little grin. I'm sure he flashes it every time he goes in for someone's roll!