It's my favorite time of year, when the humidity drops and the leaves start to change colors and blow off in the wind. Sure, I miss summer and spending lazy afternoons on the lake or at the pool, but I still love fall. It's a more comfortable time to enjoy the outdoors without having to resort to water to cool off.
You can play in the backyard for hours without being hot or cold, just enjoying being outside and away from all the technology that draws you in (our boys are becoming increasingly addicted to computer games, and we're having to limit screen time much to their collective displeasure). You can go for walks without needing a shower the minute you step back inside. And it's unbelievable beautiful outside this time of year in our part of the world.
But we apparently had the extent of fall a few weeks ago, in what should have been the end of summer. Now it's cloudy and rainy for days at a time, and it's almost cold. We went directly from the air conditioning to the heat in a matter of hours. My kids have gone from shorts and tank tops to jeans and long-sleeves almost over night. Which means I'm in the middle of rearranging closets and restocking back-up clothes (both at school and in our truck).
Perhaps it's because it's so fleeting that I like it so much. Or perhaps mother nature just likes to mess with us. So it goes . . .